- Advantages and disadvantages of adjustable dumbbells compared to traditional dumbbells,
- how they work,
- And whether adjustable dumbbells are the right investment for you.
Yes, adjustable dumbbells are good. They are practical, compact and have enough weight range to satisfy the majority of weightlifters.
If you're building a home gym and you're short on space, modern adjustable dumbbells are the way to go.
Also good if you want to save money by buying one set of dumbbells instead of multiple sets.
The main benefits of the adjustable dumbbell set are:
- Easy to use
- Save space (1 pair can replace 20+ pairs of dumbbells).
- Most adjustable dumbbells allow small weight increments such as 2.5 pounds or 5 pounds.
- They come with a maximum weight range depending on the weight you want to go
- Can be used for various exercises
- More portable than regular dumbbells
Despite their advantages, adjustable dumbbells are not without their drawbacks. These include:
- Some adjustable dumbbells are generally larger and longer than regular dumbbells, which limits your movement during certain exercises.
- The adjustable dumbbell mechanism may break or stop working as intended
- Adjustable dumbbells have a weight limit, so may not be enough in the future
- Also, adjustable dumbbells aren't cheap.You can expect to spend hundreds of dollars to own a pair. If you want a heavier set (>50lbs) you can pay $600+.
- Another drawback is that adjustable dumbbells work with a mechanism.While this is not a common problem, there is no guarantee that the weight selection and adjustment mechanism will work indefinitely. If it breaks, you should contact the manufacturer or buy a new set.
A tall stack of fixed weight dumbbells is recommended if you are looking for maximum comfort. It's much easier to put it back and pick up another weight.
Additionally, multiple people can use the dumbbells at the same time, which is not possible with his one pair of adjustable dumbbells.
However, traditional fixed dumbbells come at a cost. It takes up a lot of space and requires an expensive full barbell rack (especially when using heavy weights).
Adjustable dumbbells are great if you want to save space and money. You can get his full set of weights for the price of two or three fixed weight dumbbells.
More than 10 pairs can be exchanged with one set of adjustable dumbbells!